Fireballs Academy is our volunteering and work experience program. Through the Academy, undergraduate students from a variety of backgrounds have the opportunity to work with SSTC researchers on current projects in planetary science.
What’s involved? It’s up to you! Involvement may include (but is not limited to):
- Participation in outreach events
- Data analysis and management
- Developing meteorite tracking technology
- Meteorite hunting field trips
- Research projects exploring:
- The role meteorites play in our understanding of how the solar system formed
- Impact cratering on Earth and Mars
- Martian geology
- Crater detection algorithm training
- Space engineering with the CubeSat project
We accept volunteers from any discipline, though the program will be most rewarding for those with a background in:
- Computer science
- Science communication (including illustration, animation, and other creative disciplines)
Have a look at our emerging research strengths and current research projects to learn more about what we do, then register your interest through the contact form below. We can’t wait to hear from you!